Under The Covers 4-28-24

 Under The Covers 002 

A weekly look into the world of cover songs. 

My appreciation for music started when I was really young. I would go over to my cousin’s house and his dad (whenever sports wasn’t on) would always have on MTV, back when they showed music videos 24-7. From then going Roller R Skating on weekends to all the current music and with my cousin putting together our very own end of the year top 100 songs. That was just up though middle school but I’ll save the rest of my musical journey for next week, now onto this weeks song. 


The Original 

“You were an X-man, you were THE X-man.”  A very exciting line from the newest trailer “Deadpool x Wolverine” which debuted this week with ton of fanfare. Within this amazing trailer is the iconic song by Madonna, Like A Prayer. There is not much more I could say about an icon who has been creating and performing for over 40 years and parts of 5 decades. Appearing in her 4th studio album (Like A Prayer) and being released 35 years ago, Like A Prayer became Madonna’s 7th Hot 100 #1. The song has also been listed on Rolling Stone’s 500 greatest songs of all time. 


The Cover 

So for this cover we look to a former 2010 Idol champion, Swedish Idol that is, Jay Smith. While competing on singing shows there were quite a few covers Jay has done, notably “Bad Romance” and “Simple Man”. With “Like A Prayer” he takes this classic song and gives it some hard rock vocals. Now not saying it as a bad thing, cause I don’t really mind their music, but the sound seems very akin to Nickelback. With that said it is a great cover and well worth a listen so LFG. 

https://youtu.be/sQnoZUR6fvY?si=v-7xWOJ79bXiXZiW

Did I get you again? Probably not but fun anyway here is the real song. 

https://youtu.be/FAY8uOBHWrM?si=4IUDCVv4geit39gg

While this cover took place more than 8 years ago, Jay Smith’s style now is more country than rock. Personally speaking I don’t like country, but I know millions of people do. His newest song “Back To My Roots” does seem to have an early Taylor Swift sound, If she was a Swedish male 😜. 

https://youtu.be/mUzYyuwmkVo?si=7i_t5iEJs85B6lLZ


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Under The Covers 4-21-24

Under The Covers 5-5-2024